Friday, August 21, 2009

In continuation, more photos from the past months in Pakistan:


Smoke circle seen in the sky above the attack

The only way in which to describe the moments prior to the above (and below) photo is by describing the fear, the heart beat, the realization and the devastation. These photos were taken minutes after the May 27th Suicide Bomb Blast in at the Rescue 15 building in Lahore. Coincidentally, my workplace is just a short 500 meters distance from the site of the Blast. For me, the seconds (which, of course, seemed like minutes) during the actual explosion were soul shaking, heart fluttering, madness. I can only recall gripping my desk, as if thinking that the floor would surely fall out from under me, the window panes exploding around me and with eyes-wide, stumbling to say 'was that a bomb...?'.
For me, a gori in Pakistani clothes, the most awful realization of all was the quickness with which the excitement died, and the unsettling calm which followed, almost as if nothing had occurred. As my hands were still shaking, colleagues were typing. As my heart beat again slowed to the norm, coworkers were discussing the balancing of accounts.
Pakistanis are amazing. This country has been through so much in terms of violence and pain- Pakistanis understand that blasts and guns cannot be given too much heed, as attention is exactly what the Taleban want.

Ignorance is bliss. Or, rather, ignorance is not acceptance.




The smoke hovering in the sky, seconds after the blast. The blast site is just behind the white building.


Formal event at LUMS:


The three Germanic speakers (Felix, Laura, Matthias)


Lovely Hadiya and I.


Sahiwal and the Countryside: Desi Life.

Sorting chillis.

Bangra dancing...these kids can dance like I've never seen before!


Village home.


Safder drinking some pure, clean water...


Drying corn.

I'm having trouble with my internet connection, and expecting a power outage soon....ah the joys of Pakistan.
These photos above show the varied contexts of Pakistan...the fear and terror to the beauty and purity of the land. I will add more photos of my time in the country side and in Harappa (the ancient civilization) in my next post. (When the power goes back on).

No comments:

Post a Comment